Tips to Prevent Low Back Pain
If you are among the 80 percent of Americans who suffer from low back pain at some point in their lives, here are some helpful hints for back pain prevention.
- Pay attention to your posture. Poor posture can be a leading cause of back pain.
- Avoid prolonged periods of time in any position where you are bent forward, such as while gardening  or helping a toddler walk. This can lead to an increase in strain in your back muscles and ligaments.
- If your job requires you to sit for long periods of time, take breaks every hour. Treat yourself with a short walk around the office.
- When you need to pick up an object that has significant weight, bend at your knees and lower yourself to the item. Avoid flexing at the waist.
- When shoveling snow or raking leaves , avoid large, heavy loads. Lift smaller amounts, and bend at your knees when lifting the shovel or rake.
- When you are using the computer , avoid leaning forward with your head and reaching forward for the mouse. Keep the monitor at eye level and bring the keyboard and mouse closer to you.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Some people benefit from sleeping with a pillow between their legs at night. This can keep your hips and back in better alignment.